Monday, July 5, 2010

New Adventures

A lot has happened over the last week since I last blogged. I have done everything I was told never to do in Bangladesh:

1) I took a local bus. With all the locals. Quite the experience.
2) I ate with my hands. twice. Burned the tips of my fingers and dropped food all over the place. Haven't quite gotten the technique down yet. Still have a month to master it.
3) I went out at night with two other girls. No males were available, and we had a craving for Western food, so we chose food over safety.
4) I was at the train station after dark. Sketch. That is not an experience I'd care to repeat.

After all that, I made it out ok. Older, and wiser, for sure.

Took a trip to Srimongol this past weekend. What a beautiful place. I will blog tomorow specifically about my trip to Srimongol, complete with pictures and all.




We also went to see Grameen Knitware, a nicer version of a sweatshop owned and operated by Grameen. It was super interesting to see how our clothes actually come to be. And I got a free polo shirt. I love free things.

We risked our lives tonight for supposedly the best Mexican restaurant in all of South Asia, El Toro. The picture above shows the teeny weeny burrito I got. Maybe I am spoiled from El Farolito's $5 Burrito Supreme's but I was HIGHLY disappointed. Tasty, but not big enough for my big American belly. But what should I expect, it's Bangladesh.

That's my tag line for the summer: It's Bangladesh. What did you expect?



No comments:

Post a Comment